Sunday, February 12, 2017

Dream Vs. Reality

So I have always held out that my dream motorcycle is a Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special.   I like the looks,  the low rumble that you get when riding a big Harley and I like the comfort.   My wife tends to say I should get a more chips style (Road King, or Heritage), but that bat wing just tickles my fancy.   Harley Davidson has improved the Street Glide greatly with the 2017 model year, but Harley has also been the reason I don't have one.   Harley Davidson figures that the Street Glide is worth more than a new car.  A base Toyota Corolla is just over $18,000 and yet a base Street Glide (Not even the special) is $20,999.   I know Harley-Davidson Co. has been having some problems with their stocks lately, I wonder if it's because the generation that idolized Harley as an American legend is quickly dying off?  The joke around my pals is that the HD stands for "Hundred Dollar".   The premise being that each and every bolt on the bike costs a hundred dollars.   The sad truth is, it is very expensive to maintain any motorcycle these days, and paying an extra premium because of a name, really isn't worth the increase in cost.
So, for now, I'll stick with my $700 Kawasaki in a Crate special.  Parts are quite a bit cheaper when they come from overseas, and several of the "Jap-Bikes" have reputations for being tough, durable and long lasting.  I guess it's time to wake up from the dream and ride what I got.   After all, my Lil blue Concours rides like a champ and is plenty comfortable.  And when it comes time for a new one, well, they're only $17000.  Still $1000 cheaper than a Corolla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Please keep things PG rated and respectful.